Reginald Denny's Hobby Shop
RJK
2004-04-23 03:20:02 UTC
Does anyone remember the Reginald Denny's hobby shop that existed in
the Hollywood area until the late 70s? I learned from a website
devoted to Reginald Denny that he opened his hobby shop on Hollywood
Boulevard in 1935 and sold it to a Colonel Tom in 1963. A visitor to
the site emaailed its manager, stating that he was born in 1956, and
that he remembered buying models at a Reginald Denny's hobby shop
(perhaps not the original) until at least 1966 and possibly and
possibly until a few years after that.

Well, I grew up in the Hollywood area (on the same street as the guy
who sent that email to the site manager, no less), and I remember
buying armor models at a Reginald Denny's (I don't *think* it was on
Hollywood Boulevard) until 1977. I recall that the guy who usually
worked there was a curmudgeon who wouldn't sell me model glue (unless
I also bought a kit) and who wouldn't allow me to read the store's
magazine's ("This isn't a library," he growled) even though I was a
regular customer. I learned that the shop closed in about 1980.

Anyone have any further history on this shop?
the Legend of LAX
2004-04-24 00:15:43 UTC
You won't believe this, but I have his business card in front of me. It
says (in part):
Wood & plastic kits
Airplanes - ships - cars - trains
Complete hobby supplies
Wood structural shapes
Complete Model Shipways line
To reach us by phone
dial one word
H-O-B-B-I-E-S
462-2437 (note the lack of area code)
5905 Hollywood (at Bronson)

They take BankAmeriCard & MasterCharge

I remember buying a kit & several books at the time. I only went once,
since I lived in the South Bay area & it was all the way up in
Hollywood. This was probably in late '76.

Is the shop still there?
--
Dale G Elhardt
Cypress Ca
http://home.comcast.net/~laxet/
RJK
2004-04-24 07:13:52 UTC
Post by the Legend of LAX
You won't believe this, but I have his business card in front of me. It
Wood & plastic kits
Airplanes - ships - cars - trains
Complete hobby supplies
Wood structural shapes
Complete Model Shipways line
To reach us by phone
dial one word
H-O-B-B-I-E-S
462-2437 (note the lack of area code)
5905 Hollywood (at Bronson)
They take BankAmeriCard & MasterCharge
I remember buying a kit & several books at the time. I only went once,
since I lived in the South Bay area & it was all the way up in
Hollywood. This was probably in late '76.
Is the shop still there?
No. I moved away from CA. in '77 and heard in about 1980 that the shop had closed.

Thanks everyone for the interesting responses!
AJ Brink
2016-03-26 17:18:02 UTC
replying to the Legend of LAX, AJ Brink wrote:
Yes I went there from Whitter Blvd by bus to Hollywood Blvd in 1963. I was out
of Military School and took a Grayhound bus from Tacoma Washington to los
angles to stay with my step sister for the summer,. Met a member of the LA
Toppers a free flight club that flew on the LA river Basson. He told me about
the shop. And how to get there. Denny made a kit called the Special, and also
manufactured the Dennymite sparked engine. It came with a plug, coil,
condenser, wire. You had to buy the battery box separate. Mixed auto gas and
80 weight ND oil. I still own that engine at 18.50 was a lot of money in 63
for a young kid. I had a part time job at a gas station. Mostly cleaning up
and helping the mechanic, mostly getting in his way. Anyway I visited his shop
twice during that summer,
--
posted from
http://www.polytechforum.com/scale/reginald-denny-s-hobby-shop-24700-.htm
rec.models.scale and other engineering groups
Scott Lowther
2004-04-24 01:23:22 UTC
Does anyone remember the Reginald Denny's hobby shop ...
Hey... wasn't that the truck driver who got beat nearly to death in the
LA Riots 12 or so years ago?
--
Scott Lowther, Engineer
Remove the obvious (capitalized) anti-spam
gibberish from the reply-to e-mail address
AMPSOne
2004-04-24 01:33:27 UTC
Reginald Denny was a British actor with 46 years in Hollywood. Probably the
best known part he played that members here would recall was the chap shot by
Jane Fonda in "Cat Ballou" that brought her to being hung.

Cookie Sewell
Bill Woodier
2004-04-24 12:05:21 UTC
Post by Scott Lowther
Does anyone remember the Reginald Denny's hobby shop ...
Hey... wasn't that the truck driver who got beat nearly to death in the
LA Riots 12 or so years ago?
Actually, I was thinking the same thing when I saw the name ;~).

"The world would be a much simpler place if every one could pick
and choose their obligations, but we can't and we shouldn't."
Major Charles W. Whittlesey
the Legend of LAX
http://home.comcast.net/~laxet/
Bill Banaszak
2004-04-25 02:21:09 UTC
Post by the Legend of LAX
Same name, different dude.
IIRC, there was an actor by that name. I just can't remember what he
looked like.

Bill Banaszak, MFE
P8ntGuns4Sale
2004-04-25 04:15:45 UTC
wasn't Reginald Denny also the name of the truck driver that was beaten live on
TV during the riots in LA many years back?
2004-04-25 04:25:52 UTC
and permanently messed up.
RJK
2004-04-25 05:11:31 UTC
Post by Bill Banaszak
Post by the Legend of LAX
Same name, different dude.
IIRC, there was an actor by that name. I just can't remember what he
looked like.
Yeah, Cookie Sewell mentioned that. Reginald Denny was an actor
before he opened up his Hollywood Boulevard hobby shop.
Jaznugent
2004-04-25 15:57:55 UTC
actually, reginald denny was a british actor whose hobby was flying r/c
aircraft and was asked by the US Army to build r/c aircraft for use as flying
tagets in ww2. this gave him the start after the war for his hobby shop shop.
his was one of the first non railroad hobby shops in the US. this is the story
my sister told me when she visited his shop to buy me a model way back in the
1950's. the kit, by the way, was the Airfix 1/72 P51D which introduced me to
the idea of "constant scale" the kit cost 40 cents.
Pacific95
2004-04-25 18:50:51 UTC
Post by Bill Banaszak
Post by the Legend of LAX
Same name, different dude.
IIRC, there was an actor by that name. I just can't remember what he
looked like.
Bill Banaszak, MFE
Commodore Schmidlap from the 1966 Batman movie and the head
of the railroad shot by Jane Fonda ( ! ) in Cat Ballou.

-John
Eyeball2002308
2004-04-25 21:11:08 UTC
short but interesting bio of him at internet movie database too
www.imdb.com
Giessenlad
2004-04-24 01:31:39 UTC
GIvask
2004-04-24 03:31:51 UTC
A.
2014-01-21 15:18:01 UTC
Post by RJK
[...]
I In the 50s the shop was at Taft & Hollywood Blvd.
the Legend of LAX
2014-01-21 17:07:38 UTC
Post by A.
Post by RJK
[...]
I went there in the mid to late late seventies. I bought some books on
plank & frame modeling & also a kit. They were one of the few to stock
sailing ship models. In fact, I still have his business card in my file.
It says they take BankAmericard & Mastercharge. Their phone number was
(no area code) H-O-B-B-I-E-S. Address listed as 5905 Hollywood (at Bronson).
--
Dale G Elhardt AG6MA
Flower Mound, TX
http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=7702
Rufus
2014-01-22 04:03:32 UTC
Post by the Legend of LAX
Post by A.
Post by RJK
[...]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reginald_Denny_%28actor%29

<http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/amamuseum/2011/12/20/reginald-denny-actor-modeler-designer/>

http://www.ctie.monash.edu.au/hargrave/denny.html

http://www.ctie.monash.edu.au/hargrave/dennyplane.html

If you click the "now" link on the "denneyplane" page it seems to
indicate that the shop was (once, at least) on the corner of Hollywood
and Van Ness, but I'll take the word of folks that have actually been to
the shop(s) - it is a Hollywood story, after all...

...but also having once been seriously into R/C models and as a CA
transplant this was interesting history for me to learn of.
- Rufus
the Legend of LAX
2014-01-22 20:58:05 UTC
Post by Rufus
http://www.ctie.monash.edu.au/hargrave/dennyplane.html
Looking at the top picture of the shop in this link, this is not the
shop I remember. I recall it being a brick building.
Rufus
2014-01-23 01:46:52 UTC
Post by the Legend of LAX
Post by Rufus
http://www.ctie.monash.edu.au/hargrave/dennyplane.html
Looking at the top picture of the shop in this link, this is not the
shop I remember. I recall it being a brick building.
I got the impression in my reading that there had been a few differing
locations. But maybe all of them still were somewhere on Hollywood Bvld?
- Rufus
the Legend of LAX
2014-01-23 20:08:52 UTC
Post by Rufus
Post by the Legend of LAX
Post by Rufus
http://www.ctie.monash.edu.au/hargrave/dennyplane.html
Looking at the top picture of the shop in this link, this is not the
shop I remember. I recall it being a brick building.
I got the impression in my reading that there had been a few differing
locations. But maybe all of them still were somewhere on Hollywood Bvld?
I looked up the address on Google Maps. It appears to be a tobacco shop
now (the shop I visited). Lots of graffiti around. Looks like a bad
neighborhood now.
George Bott
2014-03-05 16:18:02 UTC
Post by Rufus
http://www.ctie.monash.edu.au/hargrave/denny.html
http://www.ctie.monash.edu.au/hargrave/dennyplane.html
If you click the "now" link on the "denneyplane" page it seems to
indicate that the shop was (once, at least) on the corner of Hollywood
and Van Ness, but I'll take the word of folks that have actually been to
the shop(s) - it is a Hollywood story, after all...
...but also having once been seriously into R/C models and as a CA
transplant this was interesting history for me to learn of.
--
- Rufus
I lived on Van Ness and Franklin from the mid 40's to the mid 60's.
Reginalds Dennys Hobby Shop was originally located on the north west
corner of taft and Hollywood Blvd across from Ralphs Grocery Store located
at 5711 Hollywood Blvd. The store moved to the locations mentioned
previously at later dates. The location was torn down and replaced with a
Texaco Gas Station at which time the alley way between that ran between
Van Ness and Taft was incorporated into the properties for the Richfield
and Texaco Gas stations. We used to fly model plains of the Concrete slab
behind the Reginald Denny's Store through the 50's. george bott
The Old Man
2014-03-08 00:16:44 UTC
Post by Rufus
[...]
The address, according to a March 1937 Model Airplane News that I came across, was:
Reginald Denny Industries Inc.
5751 Hollywood Blvd.
Hollywood Calif.
Evidently, he (his company) manufactured a series of rubber-band- and gas-powered model airplanes.
Hope this helps.

Regards,
John Braungart
AJ Brink
2016-03-28 03:18:02 UTC
replying to Rufus, AJ Brink wrote:
I visited the shop in 1963, twice, my memory is really bad dur to a serious
stroke, but I recall Hollywood and central, the shop was on a hill above
Hollywood Blvd. I,had to ride a bus from Whittier Blvd. and walk several
blocks on Hollywood. I still,have the motor the Denny mite . I had it
professionally overhauled in 2014 and I am currently building the Denny
Special. Tough model to build but very rewarding. And very classic. Haven't
decided on the motor yet. Might go 2 cycle with rudder RC. Micky Rooney, I
under stand had an interest in the company, and 10 different machine shops had
a deal with regonial to produce the DennyMite. Production runs year wise are
unknown, or knowing the year production of the Mite was complete,but I bought
mine in the summer of 1963. I sure miss thos times, Sunny

George Bott
2016-07-12 11:18:02 UTC
replying to Rufus, George Bott wrote:
Here is a guy up at the conor of vanness and franklin from 1946 to 1961.
Reginald Denny's was initially at the conor of Taft and hollywood Blvd.
Located on the north west corned across from the Ralph's parking lot and
adjacent to the Richfield on Van Ness and Hollywood blvd..Across from the
Richfield station was a Bowling Alley which became A Mobile station and
garage, after that it was the home of Hollywood Sport Cars. Denny's was
located there until it relocat to the North West corned of Western Ave
andSunset. Later it moved to the Bronson and Hollywood Blvd. its final
location to the best of my know ledge.

George Bott

Stan
2016-06-15 18:18:01 UTC
replying to RJK, Stan wrote:
I hung out at Reginald Denny's hobby shop from about 1950 to 1953. It was on
the corner of Hollywood and Taft. Taft was part of my paper route. I lived
about 1 1/2 miles from the shop. Jim Walker came and did a demonstration of
his things for a group of us. At the shop I spent a lot of time with Frank.
I was also in "the boys club of Hollywood model club "Smog Town Prop
Twisters." When Denny's didn't have Arden prop nuts, we went to Colonel
Bob's. Great memories! The Hollywood freeway was built at this time too.
s***@gmail.com
2016-09-16 02:21:57 UTC
Post by RJK
[...]
Reginald Denny’s Hobby Shop located at 5751 Hollywood Blvd. (near Taft), Hollywood, CA, catering to miniature and model airplane hobbyist since 1935. The photo was supposedly taken in 1961.

Denny was no longer an owner by 1939, however, the shop continued to use his name. The business moved in 1963 to 1501 N. Western Ave. until 1972 when it moved to 5905 Hollywood (at Bronson) before quietly going out of business.
a***@aol.com
a***@aol.com
s***@gmail.com
b***@gmail.com
2018-04-01 00:29:14 UTC
IN 1035 I LIVED TWO BLOCKS FROM DENNEY'S AIRPLANE SHOP. MY AUNT GAVE ME FIVE CENTS TO BUY A BOLSA WOOD GLIDER FOR MY COUSIN. I GAVE THEM FIVE CENTS AND THEY GAVE ME FIVE GLIDERS. I GAVE MY COUSIN ONE OF THEM AND KEPT FIVE.
William Wolf
2019-01-19 15:18:02 UTC
replying to RJK, William Wolf wrote:
I remember Reginald Denny's Hobby shop on the corner of Sunset and Western
until about that 1977 period when the business moved to the Hollywood Blvd.
location. In about the 1980 time frame the shop closed, as you say, and a
hardware store opened. Reginald Denny's had a good selection of models and
and awesome display.
--
for full context, visit https://www.polytechforum.com/scale/reginald-denny-s-hobby-shop-24700-.htm