P51 Exaust Shrouds
Mike
2017-11-13 14:08:25 UTC
Is there a reason why some Merlin-powered P-51s have shrouded exaust stacks and others have unshrouded exaust stacks? I have seen photos showing both and I am trying to figure out why. Was there a belief that one arrangement offered better performance or engine reliability than the other?
RobG
2017-11-13 17:50:21 UTC
Post by Mike
Is there a reason why some Merlin-powered P-51s have shrouded exaust stacks and others have unshrouded exaust stacks? I have seen photos showing both and I am trying to figure out why. Was there a belief that one arrangement offered better performance or engine reliability than the other?
An answer from someone with more knowledge than me.

http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/modeling_subjects/f/2/t/129752.aspx