Request for suggestions (toys not scale models)
Mike Smith
2019-12-12 20:08:26 UTC
Having retired I now make up sets of mostly 1:72 scale with a few 1:32nd scale 'toy soldiers'

Typically each side in 20mm gets three tanks, 50 troops, a couple of support vehicles and maybe some artillery but I also give them half a dozen trees, bushes, walls, hedges, small hills, a couple of houses and at least one bunker with a removable roof- The 54mm are for 5-7 yr olds and those folks get two armies of 20-30 troops, a couple of small buildings and one bigger one, a couple of hills with a few trees, bushes, walls etc.

I get to make all the things I would have liked when I was ten and I give the sets away to less well off parent for their kiddies. This encourages the kids to have a go at making things and there are well established health and psychological benefits to 'imaginative play' (for adults as well as kids).

So two questions . . .

1 - Pirate ship kit

One little girl is jealous of her brothers set so I am making up one for her, Amazons and Pirates vs rat men and lizard men on an island in the Moreau archipelago. Comes with (so far) an abandoned native village, a 'mysterious temple' (with lift-off top and internal detail, that's where the Amazon's hang out), a small fort with a bastion for the cannon (for the Pirates), lots of trees and bushes.

Need a ship for the pirates but making one is challenging due to the hull shape.

Can anyone suggest a (hopefully inexpensive) kit of a sailing ship in 1:100 to 1:72 scale I could cannibalise for a waterline model?

2 - 'Space Base'

Anyone know of any (hopefully inexpensive) kits suitable for a 1:72 space base?
Space ships and ground vehicles or kits with lots of bits for my bits box?
At the mo I'm thinking of getting some PSC 1:100 T34s (wagame models, five in a box) and building new upper parts for them. A cheapo copy of the old Aurora (?) The Invaders saucer would be brilliant (it had a removable top, interior detail and figures) - I would buy several as I have been asked for 'sci fi stuff' on several occasions and making a good space ship with an accessible interior is difficult.

Cheers

Mike
RobG
It's available and on sale right now for $25 the Invaders UFO rebox of the old Aurora kit, https://freetimehobbies.com/1-72-atlantis-ex-aurora-ufo-from-the-invaders-model-kit-1006/
Mike Smith
2019-12-15 02:12:10 UTC
Post by RobG
Post by Mike Smith
2 - 'Space Base'
Anyone know of any (hopefully inexpensive) kits suitable for a 1:72 space base?
Space ships and ground vehicles or kits with lots of bits for my bits box?
At the mo I'm thinking of getting some PSC 1:100 T34s (wagame models, five in a box) and building new upper parts for them. A cheapo copy of the old Aurora (?) The Invaders saucer would be brilliant (it had a removable top, interior detail and figures) - I would buy several as I have been asked for 'sci fi stuff' on several occasions and making a good space ship with an accessible interior is difficult.
Cheers
Mike
It's available and on sale right now for $25 the Invaders UFO rebox of the old Aurora kit, https://freetimehobbies.com/1-72-atlantis-ex-aurora-ufo-from-the-invaders-model-kit-1006/
Spendid ! Many thanks!

Cheers

Mike
Mike Smith
2019-12-16 18:23:46 UTC
Post by Mike Smith
Post by RobG
Post by Mike Smith
[...]
I'm in the UK and the locals are asking £50 a pop (about $65), I'll order them from the US supplier.

Thanks for the link!

Cheers

Mike
Max Henry
2019-12-17 08:14:47 UTC
As you are in the UK, Aldi and Lidl both had a selection of Airfix kits in the past few weeks, including a Cutty Sark kit, https://www.aldi.co.uk/cutty-sark-airfix-starter-set/p/086073301059405?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI75rvyZ685gIVAbDtCh3C-wxxEAYYASABEgL7VfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds though I'm not sure of the scale.

jh
Mike Smith
2019-12-17 15:59:43 UTC
Post by Max Henry
Post by Mike Smith
Can anyone suggest a (hopefully inexpensive) kit of a sailing ship in 1:100 to 1:72 scale I could cannibalise for a waterline model?
As you are in the UK, Aldi and Lidl both had a selection of Airfix kits in the past few weeks, including a Cutty Sark kit, https://www.aldi.co.uk/cutty-sark-airfix-starter-set/p/086073301059405?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI75rvyZ685gIVAbDtCh3C-wxxEAYYASABEgL7VfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds though I'm not sure of the scale.
jh
Thanks for that - sailing ships have a complex hull shape that's not easy to replicate (ask me how I know!). Seem to remember the Airfix sailing ships (not the little ones) were to about 1:72 but as it'll get cut about for the job anything from 1:100 to 1:60 would do.

Cheers

Mike
Mike Smith
2019-12-22 14:34:44 UTC
Post by Mike Smith
Post by Max Henry
Post by Mike Smith
Can anyone suggest a (hopefully inexpensive) kit of a sailing ship in 1:100 to 1:72 scale I could cannibalise for a waterline model?
As you are in the UK, Aldi and Lidl both had a selection of Airfix kits in the past few weeks, including a Cutty Sark kit, https://www.aldi.co.uk/cutty-sark-airfix-starter-set/p/086073301059405?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI75rvyZ685gIVAbDtCh3C-wxxEAYYASABEgL7VfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds though I'm not sure of the scale.
jh
Thanks for that - sailing ships have a complex hull shape that's not easy to replicate (ask me how I know!). Seem to remember the Airfix sailing ships (not the little ones) were to about 1:72 but as it'll get cut about for the job anything from 1:100 to 1:60 would do.
Cheers
Mike
Okay ordered some cutty sarks on line - Turns out they are the 1:600 mini-kits but can be used for rowing boats - If they release the Great Eastern I'll buy a couple, with the hull shortened for and aft of the paddles it makes the basis for a nice little paddle tug in N Gauge (1:160 model railway scale)

cheers

Mike