Semi OT: Pickup truck used in old Lassie show ?
Musicman59
2009-07-09 03:28:56 UTC
I googled and it appears that someone else posted a similar query with
no reply. All I remember about the truck was that the wheels had
holes all around them. Not sure if that narrows it down or all trucks
had that wheel design...

something about those wheels really intrigued me as a kid. Still
does.... Still find Timmy a bit annoying.

thx - Craig
s***@some.domain
2009-07-09 05:09:52 UTC
Post by Musicman59
I googled and it appears that someone else posted a similar query with
no reply. All I remember about the truck was that the wheels had
holes all around them. Not sure if that narrows it down or all trucks
had that wheel design...
something about those wheels really intrigued me as a kid. Still
does.... Still find Timmy a bit annoying.
thx - Craig
always hoped lassie would just attack and rip timmy to shreds. that was on my
way checking to see if the other 2 channels were as lame. i "missed" a lot of
"classic" shows because even then, most telly was lame. after 10pm, that was
my time. i saw every 1940's, 30's 20's and 50's grade b or worse movies that
were made.
wish i could get a few back. day of the triffids, wreck of the mary deare,
(with old stoneface.) more wundham stuf, like the midwich cuckoos, and many
more.
the knack and how to get it...that hurricane bob related tear jerker....lost
the name.
now it's dvr's or the dead zone. i miss cruising for movies.
i think i saw all 4 charlie chan's and almost all the movies. some were very
sad, or remakes of earlier. some were embarassingly racial stereotyped to the
point of making one physically ill.
OldSchool
2009-07-09 16:07:50 UTC
Post by Musicman59
I googled and it appears that someone else posted a similar query with
no reply.  All I remember about the truck was that the wheels had
holes all around them. Not sure if that narrows it down or all trucks
had that wheel design...
something about those wheels really intrigued me as a kid. Still
does.... Still find Timmy a bit annoying.
thx - Craig
it was a Dodge, late 50's or early 60's. Don't recall exactly which D-
series it was. the "wheels ... holes" thing was pretty common for
"heavy duty" use. sometimes called "budd - style" wheels, if they're
the ones I recall. (something like small versions of semi-truck
fronts?). closest image I could find was a 1960 D-100, but it had the
light duty whitewall / wheel combo
mike
2009-07-11 02:10:13 UTC
 the "wheels ... holes" thing was pretty common for
"heavy duty" use.  sometimes called "budd - style" wheels, if they're
the ones I recall. (something like small versions of semi-truck
fronts?).
Split Rims with Army pattern tires were fairly common back
then, before decent one piece rims took over. Maybe
cool looking, but you don't want to work on them

**
mike
**
The Old Man
2009-07-11 11:18:45 UTC
Post by mike
 the "wheels ... holes" thing was pretty common for
"heavy duty" use.  sometimes called "budd - style" wheels, if they're
the ones I recall. (something like small versions of semi-truck
fronts?).
Split Rims with Army pattern tires were fairly common back
then, before decent one piece rims took over. Maybe
cool looking, but you don't want to work on them
**
mike
**
Exactly. Knew a guy once who was deafened for almost a week when a
tire he was repairing let go while he was reinflating it. The upper
(outer facing up?) half of the rim seperated and lodged up in the
rafters. Missed his head by about two inches. He wouldn't touch one of
those rims again - ever!
willshak
2009-07-11 16:09:01 UTC
Post by The Old Man
Post by mike
Post by OldSchool
the "wheels ... holes" thing was pretty common for
"heavy duty" use. sometimes called "budd - style" wheels, if they're
the ones I recall. (something like small versions of semi-truck
fronts?).
Split Rims with Army pattern tires were fairly common back
then, before decent one piece rims took over. Maybe
cool looking, but you don't want to work on them
**
mike
**
Exactly. Knew a guy once who was deafened for almost a week when a
tire he was repairing let go while he was reinflating it. The upper
(outer facing up?) half of the rim seperated and lodged up in the
rafters. Missed his head by about two inches. He wouldn't touch one of
those rims again - ever!
I worked as a truck mechanic back in 1959-1960 when I was in my early
20s. I had to change many of those split rim wheel tires. I was taught
to never put any part of your body over the wheel when inflating the
tire. I used a long stem inflater and my head and body as far away from,
and lower than, the wheel as possible.
I never looked forward to that job and luckily, never had a ring fly off.
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
OldSchool
2009-07-11 16:27:30 UTC
Post by willshak
Post by The Old Man
Post by mike
[...]
I seem to remember split rims were still around in the mid-70's.
Friend of mine worked at a local tire store that had something like 5
shops in the area. owner refused to service split rims after an
employee got killed for not following the precautions you outlined.
Riverratt
2009-08-22 19:49:08 UTC
Post by OldSchool
Post by willshak
Post by The Old Man
Post by mike
[...]
I think the truck was a 1961 - 63 Dodge Powerwagon one ton. I found
one on ebay that has the wheels and all. I don't remember if the one
in the show was a dually or not but the one one ebay was, the one on
ebay was also a flat bed, too bad for that. Ane the idea of being
intrigued by the wheels.. I was too. I can remember them sliding to a
stop when "Dad" was in a hurry.
Riverratt
Found it. It's a 1958 Dodge D200 See @, http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_240374-Dodge-200-1958.html
The Old Man
2009-07-10 10:34:27 UTC
Post by Musicman59
I googled and it appears that someone else posted a similar query with
no reply.  All I remember about the truck was that the wheels had
holes all around them. Not sure if that narrows it down or all trucks
had that wheel design...
something about those wheels really intrigued me as a kid. Still
does.... Still find Timmy a bit annoying.
thx - Craig
Jeff wasn't much better. I think they both should have been thrown in
the well.
John
2019-04-23 23:18:04 UTC
replying to Musicman59, John wrote:
Yes! I couldnt stand Timmy. Im surprized Lassie didnt leave home.

--
for full context, visit https://www.polytechforum.com/scale/semi-ot-pickup-truck-used-in-old-lassie-show-106673-.htm